[Sugar-devel] Sugarbot working on latest Sugar

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Aug 11 17:13:33 EDT 2010

On 12 August 2010 03:17, Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org>wrote:

> Excerpts from Tim McNamara's message of Sun Aug 08 02:06:21 +0200 2010:
>
> > Is there interest in pushing an updated sugarbot to git.sl.o?
>
> Sure, go ahead! If you need commit rights, please write to systems@ and
> I'll transfer the project to you. The original author, a GSoC student,
> has already stated having no interest to work on it any further.

Sugarbot repo is currently reserved for the IRC bot. I'll think of a new
name for the Sugarbot testing project & start a new project from the GSoC
SVN.

"Affination" is one of the processes in raw sugar processing. What about
that?

> > I have spent some time over the last three days getting Sugarbot to run
> in
> > sugar-jhbuild. After a few code changes, and lots of reading, I have been
> > successful.
>
> Great! And thanks for working on this. Automated UI testing is our most
> pressing need right now (IMO at least). It enables faster, easier and
> better testing of code changes (including upstream changes).

[snip]

I don't have time to answer more in-depth, but one thing I'd like to
> point out is that Gnome is using dogtail for UI testing which seems to
> be rather similar to SugarBot so we might want to use that instead.

I would like to use Sugarbot during a transition phase. Two reasons: 1)
Things should work with it now. To support Dogtail (or LDTP), Sugar's
components will need to support AT-STI. I don't know how hard that will be.
 2) Test scripts written for Sugarbot are be almost identical to scripts
written for Dogtail. Therefore, testers' time taken to build scripts for
Sugarbot will not be wasted.

I'm not sure how Dogtail works under the hood. The project was initially
dismissed by the Sugarbot author as being too hard to look into during
GSoC.[1]

[1] http://gsoc-sugarbot.blogspot.com/2008/05/dissecting-guitest.html