[Sugar-devel] modified Home View

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 13:33:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> On 8 Aug 2010, at 12:59, Walter Bender wrote:
>
>> See http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Spiral_Home_View#Detailed_Description
>> for the latest screen shots. I made some changes to the way I generate
>> the Spiral -- I start from the outside rather than the inside to
>> minimize the visual disruption between the Ring and the Spiral. I
>> don't ever shrink the icon size in the Ring, but do so in the Spiral
>> once the minimum radius is reached. Perhaps most controversial, I
>> introduce an intermediate icon size between standard and small along
>> the way.
>>
>> Gary: I'll post a new patch to the ticket momentarily.
>> (http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2143)
>
> Thanks, been testing comparing it with the other patch, for those without time to try, see attached image. Left column is Walter's v1 patch, right is the v2 patch.
>
>> Comments/suggestions?
>
> You'll hate me for saying this, but I rather prefer your v1 spiral patch ;)
>
>  - when the circle is large (39 activities), the distance the activities are from the central XO is really visually uncomfortable and disconnected

I don't think the large circle behavior has changed from before, but
that doesn't mean it is correct. Maybe we want to trigger the spiral
sooner? And gradually grow out to the maximum radius? I'll experiment
with a few more variants.

>  - when your v1 spiral triggers looks really good, wrapping near around the user, spiralling outwards
>
>  - when v2 patch triggers to spiral, it has the same far away spacing from the user XO as the large circle, until you favourite about 90-95 activities
>
>  - v2 patch also seems to trip into tiny, tiny, icon mode even though there is space still, well before v1 does (see bottom images) – large icons as long as possible are really important (think touch UI compatible)

I think it is a peculiarity of fitting a spiral into a rectangle that
causes the icon trigger to fire at slightly different times.

Actually, it is triggering the intermediate size. Small is really
small. (See http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Spiral-small.png)

> If you want a more continuous transition between the v1 circle and spiral (I agree v1 is quite a large change), a close circle up to about 22-26 icons would be nice switch to spiral point, before icons feel too disconnected from the user and matching up well with the v1 spiral.

As per above, I'll play with a few more variants.

Thanks for testing.

-walter

--
Walter Bender