[Sugar-devel] modified Home View

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 8 11:55:13 EDT 2010

Hi Walter,

On 8 Aug 2010, at 12:59, Walter Bender wrote:

> See http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Spiral_Home_View#Detailed_Description
> for the latest screen shots. I made some changes to the way I generate
> the Spiral -- I start from the outside rather than the inside to
> minimize the visual disruption between the Ring and the Spiral. I
> don't ever shrink the icon size in the Ring, but do so in the Spiral
> once the minimum radius is reached. Perhaps most controversial, I
> introduce an intermediate icon size between standard and small along
> the way.
>
> Gary: I'll post a new patch to the ticket momentarily.
> (http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2143)

Thanks, been testing comparing it with the other patch, for those without time to try, see attached image. Left column is Walter's v1 patch, right is the v2 patch.

> Comments/suggestions?

You'll hate me for saying this, but I rather prefer your v1 spiral patch ;)

 - when the circle is large (39 activities), the distance the activities are from the central XO is really visually uncomfortable and disconnected

 - when your v1 spiral triggers looks really good, wrapping near around the user, spiralling outwards

 - when v2 patch triggers to spiral, it has the same far away spacing from the user XO as the large circle, until you favourite about 90-95 activities

 - v2 patch also seems to trip into tiny, tiny, icon mode even though there is space still, well before v1 does (see bottom images) – large icons as long as possible are really important (think touch UI compatible)

If you want a more continuous transition between the v1 circle and spiral (I agree v1 is quite a large change), a close circle up to about 22-26 icons would be nice switch to spiral point, before icons feel too disconnected from the user and matching up well with the v1 spiral.

--Gary