[Sugar-devel] How to copy something from the Journal to a pendrive?

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 16:06:45 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 17:54, Christoph Derndorfer
> <christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> On 2 Aug 2010, at 06:07, Christoph Derndorfer
> >> <christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah, that's what I had thought as well but since it's neither on my
> XO-1
> >> (using 321py) nor on my XO-1.5 (build 206) I'm assuming that such a
> palette
> >> indeed doesn't exist.
> >>
> >> Yea just looked at build 767 (Sugar 0.82.1) vs. build 300py (Sugar
> >> 0.88.1). Both have a Copy menu item in the Journal hover palette, but it
> is
> >> only for copying to the clipboard, unlike the details view Copy icon
> that
> >> has a secondary menu function (when a USB device is inserted) for
> copying to
> >> the USB.

How much effort would it be to add such an copy-to-USB option to the Journal
hover palette? Is this something I could do with the help of my knowledgable
flatmate Mr. Innocenti?

> Interestingly 0.88.1 is not showing the nice USB icon in the
> >> details Copy menu that you get in 0.82.1 (there's just a blank space
> where
> >> the little USB icon would be).
> >
> > Yeah, I've also noticed that this icon seems to have gone MIA at some
> point.

This should also be easy to fix I assume, right?

> >>I must admit the details view Copy to USB feature always seemed rather
> >> well hidden/unexpected to me. I've always just gone for the drag'n'drop
> from
> >> the main Journal view, though likely due to my long term Mac exposure.
> >
> > Interesting, to me it's the other way 'round because in Sugar I generally
> > expect more options to be hidden in the palettes whereas drag'n'drop is
> > something that I had never used in Sugar before.
> >
> > (Out of curiosity: Where else in Sugar is drag'n'drop available?)
>
> I've personally taken care of making content draggable in Browse,
> Write and the Journal, though it may have regressed since. Also,
> most/all text fields should be dnd-enabled and I think Etoys uses it
> extensively as well.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for dnd stuff
over the coming days:-)

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer