[Sugar-devel] Record Activity (audio)

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Sun Aug 1 17:49:11 EDT 2010

I've recently developed a 4-file mono/stereo realtime mixer/processor
application in Csound, and it works well on the XO's and versions of SoaS.
So I was thinking of porting it in Python to Sugar as an Activity.

One problem: currently Csound imports standard uncompressed soundfiles, and
doesn't work with ogg. The Record Activity only outputs ogg, it seems. I
would not consider porting my application to Sugar if Csound could handle a
filetype that Record can output.

Question #1: what are the chances that Record can be enhanced to produce wav
files?

Question #2: what are the chances that Record can be made to work dependably
on Sugar .82-.88 (at least)?

With regard to question #2, I get very spotty (mixed) results for Record
(audio), as follows:

XO-1.0: Record 59 works fine; higher versions (including 64) have major
audio dropouts.
XO-1.5: Record 64 bad, with major dropouts; v67 is semi-OK as is v85
(recording artifacts and occasional glitches)
Strawberry: Record 64 works fine; further upgrades don't (including v66,
v79, v85) - *nothing (including won't save or play)*
Blueberry: v66 is semi-OK (slight artifacts, no dropouts); v64, v79 and
v81 - *nothing*
Mirabelle: v64 not tested; otherwise same results as Blueberry

Bottom line: not encouraging. Is anyone currently working on Record?

Art Hunkins