[Sugar-devel] Home view activities layout

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 12:22:39 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Christian Marc Schmidt
<christianmarc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Again, I think that there is likely a better solution to the question of
> scalability. An extensible (scrolling or panning) grid or freeform view
> showing activity previews would not only convey more information about the
> last activity, it would also make the home view feel more personalized. For
> scalability we could try something akin to OSX spaces or iOS, adding
> additional screens that kids can pan between as the collection of activities
> grows.
> I don't disagree with the premise--I just think that there is a better
> solution than the spiral (it, too, will eventually run out of space).

Any pattern will eventually run out of space. A space-filling curve
(Peano curve) might be interesting. There is an orthogonal question,
which is if we let the icons move (as with the new spiral and the old
random arrangements, how do we tell it to reset to the original
layout? My less-than-satisfactory  solution is to have one button for
reseting and one fr switching in the secondary menu.

I've got a version of the spiral that begins as a circle until it
needs to wrap. I'll post some examples.

-walter

--
Walter Bender