[Sugar-devel] Get Books in ASLO?

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 21:29:35 EDT 2010

Daniel,

Get Books shares a fair amount of code (and an icon) with Get Internet
Archive Books but is not a new version of it.  GB uses OPDS (Open
Publication and Distribution System) which means it can support any
source of books that uses that system.  I would *not* make a Get Books
Ceibal.  What I would do is add your server as one of the possible
book sources the Activity supports.  Currently it supports Internet
Archive and Feedbooks plus "Library on a Stick" situations like the
one the Rural Design Collective made from the Internet Archive
Children's Book Collection.  Yours could (and should) be a fourth
source.  Ultimately there should be a mechanism to add user-defined
book sources to Get Books.

As for Get Internet Archive Books, it use the Internet Archive
supported in Get Books so I feel it should continue to exist awhile
longer.  I also have a Project Gutenberg-specific book search in Read
Etexts and I think that needs to stay around awhile longer too.  OPDS
is the future, my stuff is the imperfect present.

I'm actually trying to write a FLOSS Manual that makes sense of our
reading platform, helps people find the books they need, and also
helps them create and publish their own e-books.

I got my own copy of GB from Git but if I'm going to recommend it in
my book it really needs to be in ASLO.

James Simmons