[Sugar-devel] ASLO QA process

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Apr 29 18:19:07 EDT 2010

On 29 April 2010 18:22, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> This is easily done by tuning Squid to cache large files if they
> have .xo extensions. The update panel only does one uncachable query to
> ASLO.

Not quite:
 1. squid still makes the outgoing request to the upstream server, to
check the size of the file and to check if the local copy is still
valid
 2. squid purges its cache after a time
 3. It makes the assumption that you have internet in the first place.
 4. Maybe you have internet, but squid won't have a cache until 1 user
does the download, and you're talking hundeds of mb for the whole
activity set - your (heavily shared) connection may not be fast enough
to do this realistically.

It's close, but is not an acceptable solution for the OLPC world. You
need to be a bit more intelligent in the design.

But we don't need to look for a solution for this, we already have
one: XS comes with an activity server, and its trivial to synchronize
activities by USB, or over the internet (as is done in py).
The format and design is also well-documented.

Daniel