[Sugar-devel] Sugar 0.90 and migration from GConf to GSettings?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 11:15:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:53, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is there yet any plans for migrations from GConf to GSettings in the
>> 0.90 development of Sugar? I'm not sure if there's even any
>> requirements but I've noticed in maintaining of the packages there's a
>> dep on it. Do we get this free when pygtk migrates or is this
>> something we need to do. I'm just asking from the perspective that
>> there will be a mass migration over the next 6 months for gnome 3 and
>> it will help get rid of a number of old dependency chains.
>
> It would be nice to start using the new API, but I'm not sure how we
> would make regarding the backend. Would be possible to let downstreams
> deal with choosing the backend they prefer? We need to think about
> migration as well.

I would think you would let the distribution choose the backend and
that way you use what ever is supported on that platform. Then things
like gnome/gstreamer/telepathy settings are shared between the various
interfaces on that plaform which is useful for dual interface devices
such as the XO-1.5 which can switch between gnome/sugar.

For migration I presume we would be able to use the same strategy that
gnome uses.

Peter