[Sugar-devel] Experimental work... updated.

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Tue Apr 27 22:46:05 EDT 2010

>On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:44:39AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
>> This is just a quick note to let interested parties know that I've updated my
>> experimental repo at
>>
>>    http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/mstone/sugar
>>    git://dev.laptop.org/users/mstone/sugar
>
>Looks good.  Even has my #897 fix in it.  Thanks!

My pleasure; thanks for the patch.

> I like the idea of one repository, it makes working with it much easier.

I particularly like that I can test sugar*-0.88 directly on my XO by running
something comparable to

   yum install git-core gcc glibc-devel make vim
   git clone git://dev.laptop.org/users/mstone/sugar; cd sugar
   make xo-builddeps
   env PREFIX=/usr ./configure
   make; make install

I also like how easy it is to consider patches that touch multiple subsystems
in their entirety.

> Have you noticed a significant performance improvement from removing
> logging?  I did before I found the O_SYNC on a slow system.

Neat!

(I haven't timed it yet myself -- I made the change soley because, for me, it
improves the signal-to-noise ratio in the codebase.)

Michael