[Sugar-devel] Fw: #1941 UNSP: ViewSlides-11 does not start

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Fri Apr 16 12:09:45 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:14:22AM -0500, James Simmons wrote:
> Aleksey,
>
> I've been trying to recreate this.  It works OK in the Sugar
> environment on F10 and F11 and it worked fine in the sugar-jhbuild I
> was using on F11.  I assumed that my sugar-jhbuild was out of date so
> I did an update on it by running sugar-jhbuild with no arguments and
> after a couple of hiccups I got it to compile everything but it now
> will not run.  The Xephyr window opens briefly then crashes with a
> message about something being temporarily unavailable.  I didn't have
> time this morning to get the actual message.  I'll probably end up
> cleaning out my sugar-jhbuild directory and starting over tonight.

You can try prepackaged 0.88
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Packaging

> I am puzzled by the stack trace on the bug report.  I use code to
> detect whether new or old toolbars are needed, (by doing an import of
> the new toolbar package and catching the exception) and then I build
> the toolbar needed.  The code in question is used by the old toolbar.
> So it looks like my version detection doesn't work and the legacy
> toolbar stuff is broken as well.

Looks like it is just bugs in code.

Activity calls create_new_toolbar not create_old_toolbar (so, detection
code works) but e.g. self.view_toolbar could be created only in
create_old_toolbar but in foolowed code, it is out of "if"

    if _NEW_TOOLBAR_SUPPORT:
        pass
    else:
        self.read_toolbar.props.sensitive = False
    self.view_toolbar.props.sensitive = False

> I want all my Activities to support every version of Sugar from .82 on
> and they all use this method so there is a good chance they are all
> broken.  Worse, I documented this method in the "Make Your Own Sugar
> Activities!" book so I have to revise that chapter too.
>
> If you have any ideas on how I could make my Activities work with both
> new and old toolbars, or tell me what changed with .88 that's breaking
> what I'm doing I'd be obliged.

Well, for me it pretty annoying to code bunch of "if"s, for several
activities I used ported code of new toolbars for 0.82+, see
CartoonBuilder, FlipSticks and Speak on ASLO, but for now I'm not going
to support ported code and is switching to intermediate level libraries
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Saccharin#Concepts

--
Aleksey