[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.88.0 Stable Release

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Apr 1 13:43:16 EDT 2010

Hi Walter (and others).

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:07:55PM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>> Its not changed for quite some time and can be found here:
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Modules
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> It seems that page is not exactly what I am looking for, however.
>>
>> Or let me try throw a couple of trick questions:
>
>Risking getting tripped up...

:-)

>>  * Do newest release of Browse work on 0.84?
>
>I believe the answer is yes.

Specifically for 0.84 I believe that some activities only supports the
"redesigned toolbar", and judging from its Git source branching Browse
is one of those.

There might be other issues too, and the issue might have been fixed
later on so that the 0.84 branch is no longer used so is a wrong measure
for me as distributor to look for.

I have been around long enough to have heard about it when the toolbar
was redesigned, so am aware of that particular issue.  But others might
not - and I would appreciate not having to rely on my own jusgement and
code analysis but being able to lookup hard facts published by the
upstream project.

>>  * Is (newest releases of) jukebox and imageviewer part of 0.84?
>
>The maintainers of 0.84 would have to answer this question. They are
>doing quite a bit of backporting.

The question here was not if it _works_ with 0.84, but instead if it is
considered as _part_ of the "core" Sugar environment.  So when you
mention backporting efforts, I suspect that we are not talking about the
same thing - or perhaps your use of "backporting" is what I would call
"deriving".

Sigh...  I know that mentioning "core Sugar" might spawn a discussion on
its own. :-/

>> If you do not care about tracking 0.84 any longer then what revision
>> of which wiki page should I go look for latest info on that abandoned
>> release?
>
>0.84 has not been abandoned. There are several teams working on its
>maintenance and support.

Yeah, that's my impression too.  Thanks for reassuring that my big
efforts on multi-branched packaging for Debian is not a total waste :-)

  - Jonas