[Sugar-devel] Datastore shared between 0.84 and 0.86 systems

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Sep 22 12:57:35 EDT 2009

Hi,

I guess that if a user creates a sugar environment (i.e. ~/.sugar) using
0.84 or older and then switches to 0.86 then the datastore is updated.

But what happens the other way around?  Is the data usable, or does it
get corrupted, or does it maybe get moved off so is experienced as lost
by the user?

I ask because I consider shipping next stable Debian release with *both*
0.84 and 0.86 (and possibly also 0.87 or 0.88).  Only a single Sucrose
branch can be installed at once, but an admin can relatively easy swith
from one to another, and then back again - wreaking havoc for users if
the system does not sanely handle it.

Also imagine the case of diskless clients offered the choice of multiple
appliation servers running different versions of Sucrose, all using same
/home NFS storage.

In the document world, it is often used to add a version hint.  I know
that the DtP application Scribus handles not only upgrades from 1.3.1-
and 1.3.2-produced documents to the newer 1.3.3 (which used a slightly
different file format), but also the older versions properly identifies
too *new* documents and refuses to open them, instead informing about
the version mismatch.

Even if current 0.84 (and 0.82!) does not currently implement version
checking, I would very much appreciate if such functionality was added
now as a bugfix release.

Hope you see the point of this, and that it is easy to implement - most
easy being just replying "we thought of that ages ago and it already
works sanely!" :-)

Kind regards,

  - Jonas