[Sugar-devel] [Karma] comparing dojo.gfx and raphaeljs

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Tue Sep 22 06:21:43 EDT 2009

Subzero,

Here is an interesting article comparing the two:

http://www.lrbabe.com/?p=217

The author makes some points:
* the libraries have about equivalent functionality
* dojox.gfx is about twice the size as raphaeljs
* Animation isn't in dojox.gfx but another module, fx I think

I read through the documentation of dojox.gfx and I have to say that I
find it quite confusing. I looked at the demos here
http://download.dojotoolkit.org/release-1.3.2/dojo-release-1.3.2/dojox/gfx/demos/

and I honestly don't think they are that impressive.

I can't figure out where the animate() method is for the dojox.gfx or
how to use it w/ gfx

I spent a couple hours this afternoon trying to figure out how to do the
same demo I created w/ raphaeljs using dojox.gfx. I got frustrated and
well gave up. Have you been able to create something w/ dojox.gfx?

I did a small demo w/ raphaeljs which work alright on the XO.
http://karma.sugarlabs.org/raphaeljs/

It is pretty slow and choppy but it works.

They both seem like good libraries but I find raphaeljs much more
accessible.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director