[Sugar-devel] [Debian-olpc-devel] [IAEP] Glucose 0.84 and 0.85 packaged for Debian!

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Sep 22 04:21:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:17:09AM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 07:30:07PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>>>
>>> A couple of months ago your packaging systems was pretty new.... and
>>> confusing.  Yesterday I was able to build test packages for
>>> GnewSense and Ubuntu.  Pretty Cool.

>> When you succeeded now, do you think that is due to you being more
>> familiar with the design now that you work more on it, or do you
>> suspect that it is my tightening of the structure itself and the
>> rewritten README.Source that helped you?  It is interesting for me to
>> know if it might make sense to encourage others with "take a break,
>> and look at it in 6 months from now, then maybe you'll get a grip" or
>> how else to approach the challenge of the dsign being complex.
>
>I think the biggest piece was that modifying upstream 'forced' down
>streams to make a choice between picking into a choice between
>adopting the new method(which meant both learning a new sparsely
>document method and adopting their current packages to that method) or
>forging on ahead with the old method.
>
>You make a decision to break backwards compatibility.  Down streams
>_never_ like that.

Sorry - I lost you here: What backwards compatibility did I break?

>The last time I did any packaging was during the 'ice weasle/fire fox'
>dust up. I started with no preconceived ideas about how packing should
>be done.  I pinged Bernie off list how to get started.  He pointed me
>to git.debian.org and told me to grep for sugar.  The just try build
>the packages on the new disto.  He warned me that the challenges would
>be due to build system version mismatches and dependancy issues.  I
>manually added the dependancies from alsroots jhconvert packages and
>started building.

Perhaps if you had asked such Debian-specific question at the
Debian-specific Alioth list instead, and if I then realized that your
interest (for now) was not to help me do Debian packaging, but instead
to base other derived work on mine, then I could have told you this much
simpler approach:

  0. Forget about Git!
  1. Download released tarball+diff+dsc
  2. Unpack using "dpkg-source -x N.dsc
  3. Do whatever changes you want/need
  4. Build package using "debuild"

No need to understand my "techniques" except if you want to redo any of
it!

If you base your work on official Debian-released sources, then step 1+2
can be done together using "dget".  Both "dget" and "debuild" is parts
of the "devscripts" package.

>> The least complex is if GNewSense (as an example) is downstream of
>> Debian - rather than mix'n'match Debian and Sugarlabs.  Perhaps if I
>> draw it...
>
>I scheduled .deb packaging as my fun learning project for the .88
>release cycle:) I will try to hack away at it  2-3 hours a night for
>the next 6 months.  So it might be a while before I have time learn
>about, test, and respond to your recommend work flows.

Thanks.  I will look forward to that :-)

  - Jonas