[Sugar-devel] new journal and datastore maintainer

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Sep 18 08:45:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 12:32:49PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 12:26, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > And just a question on Ivan's try/except patch that is so effective in
> > 0.82 in allowing a child to continue using the system with a fresh
> > journal ... would it be true to say that this also hides the cause of
> > the failure to open the journal, and so any system with a renamed
> > datastore would not have any *other* evidence of why, other than the
> > datastore itself? ?e.g. no logs.
>
> The logs for the 5 or so last sessions should be kept in the same logs
> dir. Maybe they should be moved to the old DS dir when it is moved out
> of the way?

I think I've been misunderstood.  Sorry, I'll try to put this another
way ... the Python exception handling reports the exception to logs,
which is particularly useful for diagnosing a cause ... but if the
exception is handled as Ivan's change does, then the cause is not
logged.

I'm not saying we have no logs, I'm saying we will have no *useful*
logs.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/