[Sugar-devel] new journal and datastore maintainer

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Sep 18 05:34:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:37, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Welcome new maintainer!
>
> I am currently doing a bit of work with LatAm deployments, so I do
> have some notes related to DS. You may be aware of these issues, of
> course.
>
>  - "Dataloss" on startup. We are hearing of some issues in the field
> with "dataloss" -- not real dataloss but if there is anything DS
> doesn't like something during startup, it renames the datastore
> directory, and creates a new one. This preserves the data, which can
> be recovered/diagnosed by a DS expert (good); but from the PoV of end
> users in the field, the data is "lost" and the diskspace is lost too.
>
> A means to recover "lost" DS entries and diskspace would save a lot of
> users' data. And the DS is all about users'  data :-)
>
> Unfortunately for various reasons we are having a hard time getting
> samples of those "lost" DSs. Even without them, I am fairly sure we
> can make a simple recovery Activity.
>
>  - Better behaviour when naming/renaming files on a USB stick. See
> http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@lists.laptop.org/msg19738.html
>
>  - More resilient behaviour when plugging arbitrary USB disks / sticks
> (this may be mostly resolved in recent Sugar)
>
> In the field, correct data-preserving behaviour is what matters most.
> Even if we had no new features, if we address dataloss scenarios (real
> and perceived), users will rejoice. So the above are most important.
>
> There is also some feature work that is interesting:
>
>  - Integration with the Backup on the XS. Tony Anderson's recent work
> is a step in teh right direction, but I'd think that it should be a
> Journal enhancement rather than a separate activity.
>
>  - Integration with Moodle activities -- so that the Journal keeps
> track of documents' association to a particular Moodle-side activity,
> and "auto-uploads" to the right place. The recent GSoC project around
> printing exercises some of these aspects.
>
> Anyway, -- that's my list, FWIW :-) --

I agree that an activity for repairing or recovering the DS would be
quite beneficial, we'd need to add an exception for Rainbow though.

If we find the root cause and get a fix that seems to be worth
deploying, can we deploy it to machines presently with 0.82?

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning