[Sugar-devel] Objective of today's press release: developer recruitment!

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 02:49:40 EDT 2009

For those of you who haven't been following the Marketing list, Sugar
Labs and the Free Software Foundation will be issuing a joint press
release today celebrating Software Freedom Day. It is visible on our
site at http://www.sugarlabs.org/press and on the FSF site at
http://www.fsf.org/news/sugar-labs and will be on PRNewswire later
today. I thank Bernie for his idea which grew out of his initiative to
intern at FSF for several months and I am sure his time there will
generate new ideas about deploying Sugar.

This is an excellent opportunity for us to call upon experienced FLOSS
developers to join Sugar Labs and I invite those of you with blogs to
spread this message.

It's also an occasion for us to support OLPC which has had some bad
press lately, most of it ill-informed. Last month, the FSF itself
presented a distorted picture of OLPC and Sugar, based on secondary
sources; many of us communicated our disappointment to them, and they
were quick to redress the situation. Today's press release makes clear
that the FSF and its sister organizations, the FSF Latin America and
FSF Europe, will support and promote the spread of Sugar to children
worldwide.

We don't expect as wide coverage of this announcement as we had for
the Strawberry launch, but what is important is that we reach
developers and the community. So please, spread the word about the
exciting things happening at Sugar Labs!

thanks

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator