[Sugar-devel] new journal and datastore maintainer

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Sep 17 10:27:49 EDT 2009

Hi Martin,

FWIW, your three major points were fixed way back by Tomeu's 0.84 data-
store re-write to make for robustness. Actually I'm fairly sure it was
these kind'a reports that prompted Tomeu to make that fine effort.
Prior to this (0.82) I had seen occasional datastore 'loss', sometime
recoverable, sometimes not (while stress testing 3 XOs here). But
since 0.84 I've not seen any failures.

I guess we're waiting on the OLPC timeline for an official XO signed
release with 0.84, before deployments would be comfortable moving
forward with the solution. 0.84 is just about 6 months old now, so
happy half Birthday! :-)

On 17 Sep 2009, at 10:37, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> Welcome new maintainer!
>
> I am currently doing a bit of work with LatAm deployments, so I do
> have some notes related to DS. You may be aware of these issues, of
> course.
>
> - "Dataloss" on startup. We are hearing of some issues in the field
> with "dataloss" -- not real dataloss but if there is anything DS
> doesn't like something during startup, it renames the datastore
> directory, and creates a new one. This preserves the data, which can
> be recovered/diagnosed by a DS expert (good); but from the PoV of end
> users in the field, the data is "lost" and the diskspace is lost too.

Fixed in 0.84

> A means to recover "lost" DS entries and diskspace would save a lot of
> users' data. And the DS is all about users'  data :-)
>
> Unfortunately for various reasons we are having a hard time getting
> samples of those "lost" DSs. Even without them, I am fairly sure we
> can make a simple recovery Activity.
>
> - Better behaviour when naming/renaming files on a USB stick. See
> http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@lists.laptop.org/msg19738.html

Fixed in 0.84

> - More resilient behaviour when plugging arbitrary USB disks / sticks
> (this may be mostly resolved in recent Sugar)

Fixed in 0.84

> In the field, correct data-preserving behaviour is what matters most.
> Even if we had no new features, if we address dataloss scenarios (real
> and perceived), users will rejoice. So the above are most important.

+1!

Regards,
--Gary