[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 89

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 10:51:00 EDT 2009

Art,

Being a frugal person I do all my home computing on legacy machines
like the ones you've tested with.  As far as SoaS is concerned, I
agree with your conclusions.  I got better results than you did with
my Pentium III because I've installed a USB 2.0 expansion card on it.
I haven't tried a Pentium II.

What I'd like to point out is that while these older machines don't
run SoaS very well they may be perfectly adequate running Fedora 11
with the included Sugar environment, especially if the Sugar
environment and its Activities are the only things running.  I do that
with a Pentium III with 256 Meg of RAM and probably much less than 1
gigahertz speed.  One advantage you have doing this is you can have a
swap partition on the hard drive.  Another advantage is that the
Fedora 11 distribution probably supports more sound cards than SoaS
ever could.  Plus you don't have to deal with slow USB 1.0 ports,
flaky thumb drives, etc.

This does not give the child all the advantages of SoaS, but it's
probably far from useless.  The nice thing about Pentium II computers
is that nobody much cares what you do with them.  Pentium IIIs are
getting there too.  Fedora 11 or better with Sugar could keep them out
of the landfills.

James Simmons