[Sugar-devel] sugaronastick.com (was Re: Beta Test of Sugar on a Stick Backup Service.)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Sep 16 09:04:33 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 20:04, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> I'd like to announce to just the sugar development list at this point.
> We are ready for the first tests of backup and restore on a Sugar Stick.  We
> will be using this code for both Sugaronastick.com and the GPA but each will
> point to a different XS server so we can have GPA XS be school people only.

So you are going to distribute a derivative of a SoaS release from a
site named sugaronastick.com ? As someone involved in SoaS I'm
concerned that this will get really messy quickly. I have asked other
people involved in SoaS and they also didn't knew about it before it
was live and announced.

To avoid misunderstandings, I think that what you are doing is great,
I hope your business goes awesomely and I will help as I can from
upstream.

I just don't understand why you are using the name of your upstream to
market your derivative before discussing it with the community.

Regards,

Tomeu

> To test click "Get Sugar" at www.sugaronastick.com
> We have named this Spin "Strawberry Tree" as its done by Solution Grove
> based on the Strawberry Release.  If your curious there is such a thing as a
> Strawberry Tree - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Tree
> Beta Testers who are also on the Sugar Devel list will get free services
> from sugaronastick.com for the life of the service and 5 coupon codes for a
> year of free service to give to your friends once we start charging and have
> implemented coupon process.
> We are restricting the beta to Sugar Devel people for now because the
> instructions are probably still too rough and this is our first tests.
> Please email your feedback!
> Thank you!
>

> --
> Caroline Meeks