[Sugar-devel] [Design] ColorButton

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:06:18 EDT 2009

Added to [[The undiscoverable]].

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently the ColorButton is not fully clear in it's behavior (see
> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/388). Click outside the palette to close
> it etc.

The problem in the bug is that clicking outside the palette but in the
editing area deselects any selected text without applying the color
first. A workaround is to select text, select color, click anywhere on
the toolbar. I added this in a comment on the bug.

> Benjamin suggested to have an ok/cancel button to make the end
> of the selection clear http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/388#comment:7

I assume that you mean something like the palette controls in Paint.
(Screenshot attached.) Would we want to unify these palettes?

If Write can apply the color before deselecting the text, or without
deselecting the text, users will have a much easier time. But that may
not be what users want. Should clicking outside the box mean OK or
Cancel? I consider it fundamental to UI design that clicking to get
focus in a window or remove it from a dialogue box should not trigger
any action in the window being activated.

> Do others agree? Other thoughts?

Do we have any way to ask the children's opinion on such design issues?