[Sugar-devel] installing Surf on 0.82?

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 09:34:00 EDT 2009

I would be interested to hear how it works, I don't think I tried it
on OLPC's 8.2.x builds.  Unfortunately I don't have time to work on it
at the present, but the one major component it is missing is download
support.  When I ported Surf (it was less than a day of hacking from
Browse -> Surf) WebKitGtk had just gotten download support and it
wasn't in the python bindings yet.  Download support should have
filtered through to most disto packages by this point, so if someone
wants to explore webkit it would be a great little project.  I'm also
going to paste in the TODO from the original email announcement.

yours,
Bobby

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/browse/repos/webkit

~~~~
what works:
- browsing
- bookmarks (although their label seems to be blank)
- full page zoom
- full screen mode
- page-loading progress bar

what doesn't:
- persistant history - not saved across sessions (or journal entries)
- clipboard/undo/redo - should be simple
- back and forward buttons - you can go back and forward through your
history, but autocomplete and skipping back or forward in the history
is not implemented.  shouldn't be too hard to complete/
- file downloading - just landed yesterday in webkit's gtk bindings.
- im sure there are other things I forgot

I'm typing this in Surf - the most annoying 'feature' so far is that
my arrow keys wont navigate around the textbox.