[Sugar-devel] How to make a SoaS (or liveCD) from scratch

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Sep 10 22:01:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 06:43:31PM -0300, Andrés Nacelle wrote:
> Hi guys, basically I'm trying to do a SoaS or a live CD with the image we
> are using now on the XO, which has our own selection of activities and
> packages.

You want to take an XO-1's filesystem from its NAND and make it
bootable on another machine via a USB key?

It might be easier (but it's by no means quick, and probably not easy
either) to re-create the SoaS .ISO.

Based on the information at the top of:

http://cgit.sugarlabs.org/soas/mainline/tree/BUILDING

...you could:

git clone git://git.sugarlabs.org/soas/devxo.git xo-soas
cd xo-soas
mkdir images cache
echo "soas00" > images/lastbuild
sudo ./build

...to check that you can build everything.  If it works you should end
up with about 10 gigs less of disk space and a lot of files in
images/, one of which will be soas01xo.img.

You will then have images/soas01xo.tree/, which contains the files
that went into that .img.

You can modify the images/soas01xo.tree/ files and then

cd images
touch soas01xo.tree
sudo make -f ../Makefile soas01xo.img

...to re-create the .img file.