[Sugar-devel] Hello, was Re: Hack to get a USB/SD to autologin to only "Sugar-desktop on a stick". from a F12-alpha live CD

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 06:31:41 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Douglas McClendon
<dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org> wrote:
> Basically if these tests are against installed systems, I really don't have
> anything useful to add.  But if this involves LiveOS style boot with overlay,
> then I still don't have much to add other than I assume/hope your tests don't
> trigger overlay exhaustion and confuse that with media error.

Those tests are on NAND flash, without an FTL, direct MTD and JFFS2 or UBIFS.

I do have a couple of questions for you re diagnosing the issues we've seen.

 - During boot, how early is the overlay being mounted (initramfs?)
and could something be done to fail more gracefully if the overlay is
found to be corrupt? Hints to what code is controlling this would be
great.

 - When we do have LiveUSB that refuses to boot, what fs is in the
overlay? The 'livecd' tools that create the overlay just dd the file.
It all seems to be internal to the Linux kernel -- if it is a FS in
disguise, we could fsck it...

With this kind of info, we can hopefully do more valuable testing & diagnosis...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions