[Sugar-devel] Hello, was Re: Hack to get a USB/SD to autologin to only "Sugar-desktop on a stick". from a F12-alpha live CD

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Sep 9 16:39:23 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 03:21:50PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
> Thanks for joining us Douglas.
>
> I would like to point out that there are two separate yet interlinked
> issues at hand:
> 1. Easy and fast install.
> 2. Running OS natively on removable solid state media.

What do you mean by "running OS natively"?

> Douglas' Liveos solved the first issue.  It is very fast and easy to
> install an OS to a hard drive by dd'ing the contents of the overlay to
> the hard drive.
>
> I am suggesting that ease of installation to another medium is not
> longer the primary usecase for SoaS.

Caroline continues to ask for easy ways to duplicate a stick.

> The primary use case is now running Sugar and the underlying OS as
> natively as possible on the removable solid state media.  The primary
> goals are now reliability and speed.

What does "as natively as possible" mean?

> The issue is not that overlays are bad/good or real file systems.  The
> issue is, can SoaS improve stick reliable  and speed by eliminating
> the overlays and writing the _contents_ of the overlay directly onto
> the solid state device

Is what you're saying that it's easier to corrupt a bit on the overlay
than it is to corrupt a bit on a non-overlay fs?

> using a file systems which is aware of the design characteristics of
> current generations of USB keys.

Please clarify what you mean.

> I have been conducting some very initial tests using WAD's SD card
> test tools.

Where can these be found?

> #1. Standard SOAS.
> #2. Install the contents of the SoaS overlay to a usb key using
> #   ext2.

Meaning what exactly?

> I am just running various methods of installing soas on USB sticks in
> qemu directly from usb sticks using
>
> qemu  -hda /dev/sd*
>
> My initial runs using the cheapest drives I could find at best buy
> indicate that #2 has at least 10X the lifetime as #1.

What are the units in which you're measuring "lifetime"?

> david

Martin