[Sugar-devel] GPA follow up

Greg Smith gregsmithpm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 10:47:58 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I have been off the list and unproductive on the Sugar front for
several weeks. I'm starting a new job on Tuesday so I need to unsubscribe
from the lists for a while. I enjoyed spending time with the kids
at GPA this summer. The timing was great and its an experience I will value
forever.

I hope this e-mail finishes a piece of work that others can take forward.

I read the head lines of 523 open bugs in the sugarlabs bug DB
(http://dev.sugarlabs.org/). I
flagged issues that we uncovered in class this summer with GPA in the
keyword field.

I didn't add myself on CC so unicast me if you need more info.

See the GPA tagged bugs at this link:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Gardner_Pilot_Academy#How_you_can_help_-_Technical_Tickets

I focused on the UI things in the reports so I
probably missed USB boot problems (e.g. 596) and server
issues. I also left out any Jabber issues assuming that
the "local" collaboration strategy will work going forward.

I just tagged existing bugs with GPA, I didn't file any new ones.

We can classify the issues in to three main categories:
1 - Moving files from one activity to another (e.g. download image
from wikipedia, then use in Memorize)
2 - Finding things in the journal (e.g. find one of several files just
downloaded)
3 - Screen resolution not consistent on different Hardware.

I believe design work is underway on the first two. My suggestion is
to test new designs with the main use cases from the reports. e.g. try
to create a
Memorize or Turtle Art activity with 6 images from Wikipedia. When that is
easy, you will have a winning design.

Thanks,

Greg S