[Sugar-devel] Problem rejoining a shared Write

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Sep 6 14:45:57 EDT 2009

J.M. Maurer wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 10:09 -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
>> J.M. Maurer wrote:
>>> While testing with salut, I now seem to be running into sugar bugs:
>>>
>>> 1. Start an activity
>>> 2. Join the activity
>>> 3. Close the activity on the initiator side
>>> 4. Click on the activity from the donut on the initiator side to rejoin
>>> it
>> Could you clarify step 4?  Why didn't you go to the Neighborhood View to
>> rejoin?
>
> Because then you hit another bug: as soon as you go to the Neighborhood
> after having closed a shared activity, the view is empty (at least
> here).

Yep.  This bug is present in all versions of Sugar.

>> It seems likely to me that this is a problem with Write being unable to
>> handle an instance that is both resuming from the datastore and joining an
>> existing shared session.  I know this is possible to handle, because
>> SharedTextDemo does it.

Actually, I now believe that your characterization is right.
SharedTextDemo does _not_ handle this situation correctly, because Sugar
makes it basically impossible.  I was thinking of the situation in which A
initiates, B joins, A leaves, B edits and leaves, A resumes and edits, and
then B joins by resuming.

Both of these bugs are worth fixing, especially now that there are
activities that can really make use of re-joining.