[Sugar-devel] Pippy: "save as example" function

Gabriel Eirea geirea at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 10:33:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

During yesterday's ceibalJAM! a group of volunteers worked on
improvements for Pippy. We had three main requests:

1) code comments in the examples are in English and not pootle-translatable
2) there is a need for more examples to awaken kids' curiosity
3) saving code in the journal is not very useful because built-in
examples are shown in a treelist and more readily available

For 3) I'm sending a patch (diff  against Pippy version 34) that adds
the "save as Pippy example" option and shows custom examples in the
treelist. The trick is to use the $SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/data directory
as a persistent repository for these files and show them in a separate
category "My examples". This is complementary to the "save in the
journal" functionality that can be used mainly for sharing code with
others.

For 2) we have new examples to contribute, we still need to compile
them and translate some parts.

For 1) the plan is to add localisation subdirectories in the data
directory where built-in examples are located. If the directory
exists, then examples are taken from there and not the english ones.
The disadvantage is that they will still not be pootle-translatable so
examples need to be sent upstream to be included in the bundle.

We will welcome any thoughts.

Regards,

Gabriel