[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [Question #81566]: Can't boot MacBooks at GPAfrom CD + USB

Caroline Meeks cmeeks at sugarlabs.org
Sat Sep 5 11:10:11 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Art Hunkins <abhunkin at uncg.edu> wrote:

>  Hello, Caroline,
>
> I've considerable information to report re: CD's booting SoaS on USB.
>
> First, I admit to burning my boot CD wrong; creating the right kind of
> (.iso) CD makes the process work fine for me. My fairly current desktop
> system worked fine this way, as well as did an IBM ThinkPad notebook of
> Pentium II vintage. (I'm by and large a Windows person; no experience with
> Macs at all.)
>
> I did experience an overwhelming problem with the ThinkPad, however; it
> took a good 20 minutes or more for it to get from opening blue screen to the
> opening screen of my activity. It even took more than a minute to change
> to my initial activity screen from its full-screen icon display. And this
> machine has 1GB of memory. This admittedly anecdotal evidence leads me to
> question the total feasibility of running SoaS on vintage equipment. Have
> you or others had similar experience?
>
> I was prepared for *some* slowdown, as my XO-1 natively runs noticeably
> faster than the XO-1 under SoaS Strawberry. The IBM ThinkPad however, is a
> *complete* no-go.
>
> I've another Pentium I/II vintage laptop. It, like my IBM, has only a
> single USB port - showing that they are from the first generation of USB
> usage. However, this Hitachi laptop cannot boot from CD. This reminded me
> that USB ports and bootable CD's came in at about the same time, and do not
> predate by far bootable USB drives. IOW, bootable CD's are of limited
> utility for SoaS.
>
> However, bootable (3.5") *floppies* would be altogether a different matter.
> Floppies have been bootable forever, and all vintage machines have floppy
> drives - including both my Pentium I/II laptops. A floppy/USB combo, for
> laptops with a USB port, would at least theoretically render all such
> machines SoaS-capable. The combo would also work fine for older desktops as
> long as you could find a USB card for them.
>
> Bottom line: I'd really look forward to the availability of the boot floppy
> that's being completed by one of our list-members. If you had older desktops
> or laptops, you could easily configure them to boot first from the A: drive,
> having inserted the floppy disk and perhaps black-plastic-electrical-taped
> over the A: drive opening (?!).

Yes! we agree.  Thanks in advance for your help testing.  :)

> But, to restate my question (and fear): who has had bad/good experience
> with SoaS in older computers?

Have you seen this page?
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Hardware

We could use some help moving this along and gardening the wiki
page.  For now I am trying to only collect P4 and better as donations.    I'd
love to be able to expand that.