[Sugar-devel] Request Feature Freeze Exception for ticket #916 to allow sugar on non-xo hardware to register with a schoolserver

Hamilton Chua hamilton.chua at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 10:43:17 EDT 2009

Hello Bill,

If my vote counts, I'll +1 as well.  In the XO case, it should work
> the same as before.  In the non-XO, it tries to do something useful
> rather then nothing.

Thanks ! :-)

> However, I have some concerns/questions:
>
> 1.  In the non-XO case, why do you replace the files which contain
> previously generated uuid/sn/backup_url rather then using them as is?

I'm not sure I understand. On non-XO hardware, there is no UUID and SN to
begin with, both have to be generated when Register is clicked. The
backup_url is the registration server or in the case of non-xo hardware the
jabber server.

> 2. The XO always uses a static "schoolserver" URL to register while a
> non-XO will use it's jabber server instead.  For minimum impact on
> current XO usage, I understand this.  Going forward, I think this
> inconsistent behavior will be a problem.  I believe there are already
> deployments using both XO's and SoaS based systems.  At a minimum, I
> would suggest creating a bug ticket for this inconsistency so it can
> be dealt with correctly in a later release.

Yeah I suppose it is a problem in cases where the jabber server and
registration server are not the same machine.