[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [Question #81563]: Why doesn't Record work with Strawberry VM?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Sep 3 17:05:20 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

On 3 Sep 2009, at 17:58, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Bill Bogstad<bogstad at pobox.com>
> wrote:
>> [problems with Macbook? cameras and SoaS under VirtualBox]
>>
>> However, I found the following thread on their support forum:
>>
>> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18695
>>
>> which seems to indicate that the VB developers are thinking about
>> doing something about fixing their USB code to support USB based
>> cameras, but there was nothing there as of June of this year.
>
> Here's a direct link to a bug report about VirtualBox not supporting
> USB web cams:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/242
>
> The good news is that the latest releases 3.0+ of VB might work
> better.  Given that this is a known
> problem with VirtualBox, there is no point in doing anything within
> SoaS without testing the absolute
> latest VB release.
>
> Natively booted MacBooks under SoaS is a different story.

Thanks for all the research! Most of my Mac Sugar time is spent in
VirtualBox, though I'm sure I had a live CD of Sugar booting at one
point (but never a bootable USB). I'll be sure to run Aleksey's
suggestion of a 'lsusb -v' next time I'm on that path (and a smolt
profile would be worthwhile also).

Regards,
--Gary