[Sugar-devel] Friends view UI affordances?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Sep 3 10:22:21 EDT 2009

On 3 Sep 2009, at 14:37, Eben Eliason wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Caroline Meeks<solutiongrove at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> My vision is that we would create Moodle Classes for all the various
>> groupings that students have throughout the day.
>> Then maybe the Neighborhood view shows only people who share a
>> group with
>> you, or maybe those people get preference if the Neighborhood gets
>> too
>> crowded.
>
> I think giving preference to people one knows/interacts with is a
> logical approach.
>
>> On the Friends view it might be useful to pick just one of these
>> groups. So
>> if I'm in Reading Group A right now I could choose Reading Group A
>> in a drop
>> down in the friends view and it would show only people in my
>> reading group.
>>  Later I am in Mr. J's Afterschool club and I pick that so I can
>> work with
>> them.  After that I'm in homework time and I want to work on my
>> Reading
>> Group, I can use this to easily see if anyone else from my Reading
>> Group is
>> around to work on the homework assignment with.
>
> +1. This has been our intent for the groups view all along, and the
> lack of groups (naturally) has left it mostly useless. I think we
> should retain the ability to make friends, who should also appear in
> the view (and give it some utility until the rest is built), but the
> ability to filter the view to see and interact with specific groups of
> individuals is key to the collaborative experience.

I'd describe "friends" as just a default (local) group each users
Sugar install has, and once there are other groups (whatever the
agreed solution finally gets to be) you get to switch between them in
Groups view (see mockups):

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Groups#Group_view_with_additional_management

Regards,
--Gary

> We had an ambitious view of what groups should be in the absence of a
> server, before Moodle was investigated. Perhaps we can start with a
> moodle approach and merge/sync that with a server-less approach later.
> Or perhaps the server-less "ideal" isn't actually needed, and Moodle
> is the appropriate means of introducing this much desired feature.
>
> Eben
>

>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
>> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

>>> I agree... unless we rename it to something like the "Recent
>>> Friends"
>>> view.  It could simply show, say, the 20 people with whom we have