[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [Question #81563]: Why doesn't Record work with Strawberry VM?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu Sep 3 00:07:35 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Hi Caroline,
>
> On 3 Sep 2009, at 02:40, Caroline Meeks wrote:
>
>> Other Mac users...are you having this problem to? Does anyone know
>> the root cause?
>>
>> The GPA is very excited to use the built in cameras with their
>> macbooks.  I'm pretty sure this worked on my iMac a few months
>> ago.   I remember someone fixed the video quality for it.
>
> I've had no luck on my MacBookPro, it does recognise the camera and
> activate it, but just produces a black image. Haven't tested with a
> very recent SoaS, so I should add that to the list of things to test.

I think that you might be talking about two different environments
here.   The GPA teachers are apparently using VirtualBox which
provides an emulated PC hardware environment for many different
hardware/OS platforms.   I'm guessing that Gary is talking about
booting SoaS directly on Apple Intel based  hardware.   I use
VirtualBox under Linux and there is no camera support in the emulated
environment.  There is support for accessing USB devices from within
guest machines.

However, I found the following thread on their support forum:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18695

which seems to indicate that the VB developers are thinking about
doing something about fixing their USB code to support USB based
cameras, but there was nothing there as of June of this year.

Bill Bogstad