[Sugar-devel] Friends view UI affordances?

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 22:01:00 EDT 2009

My vision is that we would create Moodle Classes for all the various
groupings that students have throughout the day.
Then maybe the Neighborhood view shows only people who share a group with
you, or maybe those people get preference if the Neighborhood gets too
crowded.

On the Friends view it might be useful to pick just one of these groups. So
if I'm in Reading Group A right now I could choose Reading Group A in a drop
down in the friends view and it would show only people in my reading group.
 Later I am in Mr. J's Afterschool club and I pick that so I can work with
them.  After that I'm in homework time and I want to work on my Reading
Group, I can use this to easily see if anyone else from my Reading Group is
around to work on the homework assignment with.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz <
bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> 5. Automatically add anyone with whom you have been collaborating to
> >> the Friends view. (Doesn't quite solve the problem Michael describes,
> >> but it will result in a populated view. And it is easy enough to
> >> delete entries.)
> >

> > Personally I'm very much opposed to doing something like this without the
> > user's explicit consent, especially since this is quickly going to result
> in
> > a very cluttered "friend's view".
>
> I agree... unless we rename it to something like the "Recent Friends"
> view.  It could simply show, say, the 20 people with whom we have most
> recently collaborated.  This would discard existing functionality in favor
> of different, new functionality.  I suspect that this would still be an
> improvement, and that the current Friends view is little-used, but it
> would be nice to have confirmation from deployers before tearing out that
> feature.
>
> Ideally, both of these functions could coexist in the context of the
> Groups View, but we have only the vaguest mockups of how Groups should
> function, and even less of a blueprint for implementing them.
>
> --Ben

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com