[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Read 72

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:53:04 EDT 2009

Hello,
I just released Read 72. This release has much more robust Epub
support (the "spine" handling code got a overhaul). For the end-user,
this means that more Epub files should be supported by Read, including
the ones which Google Books have started to distribute[1]. This
release also gets rid of the binary pywebkitgtk blob from the bundle,
since the required version of pywebkitgtk should appear soon in both
Fedora Rawhide and Fedora 11 (updates).

The activity has been tested to work on Fedora 11 based systems such
as SOAS-Strawberry, and it will work in a Sucrose 0.84 (or higher)
environment. However, if you are using SOAS or the Fedora 11 builds
for XO-1 or XO-1.5, you will need to install WebkitGTK (and the
corresponding Python bindings), python-lxml and python-BeautifulSoup.
The following command would do the trick:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing install webkitgtk pywebkitgtk
python-lxml python-BeautifulSoup

(Note that the activity should work even you do not have these
installed in your system - only the Epub support will not be
available)

Source code
===========
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/fructose/Read/Read-72.tar.bz2

XO Bundle
=========
http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/bundles/read/Read-72.xo   [2]

Changes
========

* More robust Epub support
* Do not print each and every key-event to log (dslo#752)
* Updated translations (French, Italian)
* Get rid of the pywebkitgtk binary blob

Thanks,
Sayamindu

[1] http://booksearch.blogspot.com/2009/08/download-over-million-public-domain.html
[2] I'll update activities.sugarlabs.org as soon as I get the proper access
--
Sayamindu Dasgupta