[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 90

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:35:31 EDT 2009

Samuel,

Read Etexts originally used speech-dispatcher and technically it still
can.  However, Aleksey Lim wrote a plugin for using espeak with
gstreamer which works better than speech-dispatcher and does not
require the configuration that speech-dispatcher needs.  He also
rewrote the TTS code in Read Etexts so that the Activity can use
either the plugin or speech-dispatcher, whichever is installed.

The gstreamer plugin is part of Sugar on a Stick but does not
currently ship with Fedora or any other distro that I know of.  It is
possible to install speech-dispatcher on an XO running .82 but IMHO
it's more trouble than the results are worth.  The highlighting
doesn't keep up with the words spoken very well.  The gstreamer plugin
does this *much* better.

James Simmons