[Sugar-devel] On Zeroinstall and Sugar packages

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Oct 20 06:30:22 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:42:32PM -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> 0compile, combined with Zeroinstall's support for source bundles,
> enables us (1) to approach true platform-independence and (2) to
> provide users the opportunity to modify the source code of a package
> and rebuild it in a natural way.
So unless the sender and receiver architecture match, the receiver needs
to build the package from source and requires the usual tools (gcc,
autoconf, etc) for that? How much space would those take up on the XO-1?
I'm not arguing against it, BTW, quite the contrary: I've suggested a
similar scheme [1] in the past.

[1]
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Packaging_Ideas#combined_Source.2BBinary_package

CU Sascha