[Sugar-devel] incremental activity update

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Oct 15 23:54:25 EDT 2009

2009/10/15 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> Would be interesting to know more on concrete issues (that lead to the
> feeling part :-) ).

I guess the turning point in my thinking was when I realised that I
had to update the .contents file inside the image after making
non-activity customizations. This was after we had deployed this buggy
image in the field.
My realisation was that the more things we do with the image-builder
script, the more complications we will have to duplicate from the
"real" build system. And sometimes we might only discover the
importance of those things when it is too late.

> The Pilgrim path is too hard and brittle.

Have you tried to set it up?
I haven't, but I get the impression from the team here that it is not
as bad as you might expect. I'm sure it's not where we'd like it
though.

Looking forward, the F11 build system is easy to get running. I feel
confident it's the kind of thing that can be documented on a single
wiki page, which is my general threshold for "[some] deployments can
do it" :)

Daniel