[Sugar-devel] [Systems] [IAEP] ASLO updates

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Oct 15 14:13:13 EDT 2009

I'll try to document how mirror brain is setup and how it affects
other systems in the wiki this afternoon.

Changes to devel, testing, or product activities.sl.o should not
affect one another.  They are three separate instances consisting of:
1. Separate code trees.
2. Separate database instances.
3. Separate file storage.

Two variations of the file tree are stored.  These trees are (I am
using mozilla terminology for the trees):
1. Application tree.
2. Repo tree.

Each instance has an individual application tree stored at
www-sugarlabs/activitie-*/files.  Each instance interact directly with
its application tree.  From a user pov this tree is call the sand box.

Each instance can have an _optional_ repo tree.  An instance interacts
with its repo tree via the 'download server.'   From a a user pov this
tree is the set of downloadable files.

Our confusion was because we were pointing the download server at the
application tree via a symlink.  When the download server was the same
machine as the application server it worked correctly.  Adding
mirrorbrain forced us to clearly draw the line between the download
server and the application server. Long term, it is good system
design.  Short term, a bug in mirrorbrain cause it to incorrectly
handle symlinks in the vhost directory part.

Moving forward--
1. Work Flow -- What ever you decide for a work flow is fine.
2. A.sl.o modularization -- a.slo is design to split up into several
pieces as it grows:
2.1 Application server. This is the primary php application.  It can
be split across multiple machines using mod_perbal.
2.2 Database server. This is the primary database.  It can be split
across multiple machines as necessary.  There are limited to
scalability due to db replication issues.
2.3 Download server.  This is the primary download server.  It can be
scaled using various CDN techniques.
2.4 Memcache server.  Memcach sits between the application server and
the database.  Memcache reduces database server load and is easier to
scale than multiple database server.

Currently, all of these pieces are sitting on sumjammer. As a result
we were a bit hand wavy about the abstraction barriers between the
pieces.

Due to the improvements bernie and danny have done to sunjammer we are
maxing out at 45% cpu usage.

Due to mirror brain we have reduced our the bandwith usage on
Sunjammer from between 100 and 150 GB per day to less than five GB.
The big gain is that offloading the downloads reduces the cache churn
and eth0 interupts on Sunjammer.

Recommended growth roadmap--
Based on discussions with the AMO infrastructure team the recommend
plans for grow are:
1. Split off download server.  We have effectively done that via
mirrorbrain.  But at some point we will need to see about putting
mirrorbrain on a separate machine.
2. Split off download server.  At some point, we will need to put the
database on a separate machine which will grow into cluster of
machines.
3. Split off memcache server.  At some point we will need to split off
memcache machines.  Memcache machines can just be a bunch of old
machines with lots of memory.
4. Build multiple application servers.  This is just a matter of using
mod_perlbal to distribute across multiple servers.

I have no idea when we are going to have to make the above changes.
Current growth trajectory for a.sl.o is about 25% per months.  But,
this could change when:
1. SoaS buleberry comes out.
2. Sugar .86 starts to hit the street and the updater starts
automatically pinging a.sl.o for updates.

I do want to make sure that ever though a.slo. _looks_ like a black
box, scaling a.sl.o is a solved problem.

Hope this helps.
david