[Sugar-devel] RFC: Kill the delayed menus for good

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 10:34:11 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> > I'd like to put my designer hat on for a minute and offer an alternative
> > Bernie/Michael's patch and the current behavior:  Any time the mouse
> hovers
> > over a part of the screen with a delayed action, that part must
> immediately
> > highlight itself.  With the frame, that would be a 1px rectangle around
> the
> > screen.  With icons, this could be a border rectangle.
>
> I think this one would have a big impact on usability and may not be
> hard at all.

An even nicer option might be to expand "highlight itself" to "hint at what
it's going to do".

For example, an icon with a delayed menu could highlight itself and display
a little down arrow (similar to the arrows in the new toolbars).

With feedback/mockups from the design team I'd be happy to attempt this
patch.

Best,
Wade