[Sugar-devel] Fwd: [Marketing] 2009 Free Software Awards

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Oct 8 16:15:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 08:17:00AM +1300, Tim McNamara wrote:
>2009/10/8 Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero <rafael at sugarlabs.org>
>
>> fyi ..Sugar or it's representative should be nominated :).
>>
>> http://www.fsf.org/news/2009FSAwardsCall
>>

>Hi all,
>
>Apologies for my lack of knowledge. Does Sugar contain any non-free
>components?

In principle that depends on your definition of "free".

However, to the best of my knowledge, all parts of "Sucrose" - the
official core part of Sugar, is free according to the Debian Fre
Software Guidelines (DFSG) which I believe fit the "free" as defined by
FSF.

Parts of Sugar (the squeak-vm package needed by Etoys) is treated as
"non-free" in Debian but that is not due to licensing issues but rather
the oddity of "source code" being binary so currently unmaintainable by
the Debian security team.

So the short answr is "yes!" :-)

  - Jonas