[Sugar-devel] [olpc-nz] Test results from Fabiana

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:39:17 EDT 2009

Thanks for your feedback.  Get Internet Archive Books has been
submitted for Pootle translation.  I haven't done a git pull on it in
awhile, so it is possible that translation is already done and I
should release a new version.  Read Etexts has been in Pootle awhile
and at least some of the menus should be translated into some
languages.  I don't know how to go about testing this myself, but
every string in both apps should be in a POT file.

As for reading the downloaded files, PDF is the best format for use
with the Read Activity on the XO using Sugar .82.  DjVu will be
supported in later versions of Read which require a newer version of
Sugar.  Some Internet Archive books will cause out of memory errors in
Read.  One enhancement I believe Sayamindu was looking at was to use
evince in one page at a time mode.  That might help the memory issue
quite a bit.

I too have noticed that PG books in ISO-8559-1 format occasionally
have odd characters or symbols in them.  I'm using Python's functions
for handling text encoding.

James Simmons