[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] TableView Widget request for inclusion to 0.88

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Fri Nov 27 23:00:11 EST 2009

Hi all,

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/TableView_Widget

GTK widget to replace gtk.TreeView in Journal.

Benefit to Sugar

Standard gtk components are not designed to be lazy. Third party
widgets, I managed to find, uses scheme with renders(like gtk
components), introduced component uses widgets instead(could have
performance penalties, I guess, in common case but we don't have many
rows in Journal view, so should be ok for us).

Benefits we have for such scheme:

* coding cells is more useful by using widgets then renders, we can
  reuse our existed custom widgets instead of coding sugarized cell
  renders
* in some cases its hard to sugarize cells theme(we still have
  ugly progress bar for Journal entries), with new widget, we
  use just gtk.ProgressBar

There is an ongoing discussion in gnome community about replacing
GtkTreeView, not sure if new widget is ready to use for 0.88 and since
Journal's view widget is pretty simple we can use our own
simple implementation(360 lines of code).

--
Aleksey