[Sugar-devel] Record rewrite -- was Re: [SoaS] SoaS v2 approaching RC state

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Nov 26 18:18:45 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 02:49:31PM -0800, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On 11/26/09, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> >> last time /me patched Record.. and looks like it doesn't work in 0.86
> >> for a long time, so its the right moment to fix 0.86 issues then
> >
> > Sorry, I'm a bit stuck with it, my plans were to rewrite Record-65
> > and make lightweight Record:
> >
> > * w/o collaboration feature as it was designed in existed Record
> >   * it just share records, I'm planing to do the same on Journal level
> >   * it just doesn't work well(especially for big files)
> > * w/o gtk.Windows that represent Record's controls, only widgets
> > * using more robust gst scheme
> >
> > I decide to use camerabin[1] gst plugin which is a good option for
> > Record but it doesn't work(stop w/ gst errors on recording) any help
> > from people who are aware of such gst and video recording stuff is
> > appreciated.
>
> You shouldn't rely on any of the plugins in gst-plugins-bad as most
> distros won't ship them by default due to either quality or legal
> issues.

I didn't think to rely on -bad, just make fat bundle or use 0instal.

> Can you look at what apps like cheese use for that sort of
> thing?

since cheese also moving to camerabin...
except camerabin, Record is prety simple activity(about collab features,
see text above). I posted upstream bug about record errors and going to
return to Record developing when at least upstream example will work ok
(camerabin bin example from git tree doesn't record as well in my case).

--
Aleksey