[Sugar-devel] some efforts that would be really useful for deployments

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Nov 26 08:48:27 EST 2009

Hi Sayamindu,

On 25 Nov 2009, at 16:55, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> <..snip snip>
>

>> Another constant headache is with translations. How do you roll out new
>> translations for old software? The best we have right now is language
>> packs but they install files which conflict with both system packages
>> and activity bundles. And they are difficult for deployments because you
>> need Linux skills to execute them.
>>

> For Sugar 0.88, I will be doing an extended gettext as sugar.gettext
> which will allow parallel installation of translations (and will get
> priority over the translations in the activity directory). In that
> way, we may at least ensure that there is a clean way to upgrade
> Activity translations.

I'm curious, is there something flawed with the current process where deployments add translations to pootle via translate.sugarlabs.org so strings are pushed over to activities held in git.sugarlabs.org ready for re-release? Will this new mechanism lead to new activity releases with new translations being over ridden by old translation files installed in parallel by deployments?

Regards,
--Gary