[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] SoaS v2 approaching RC state

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Wed Nov 25 17:07:57 EST 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 24.11.2009, at 22:13, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> with the next SoaS release coming up really soon (final image is
>> supposed to be composed this weekend, release date is Dec 8), there's a
>> new snapshot ready for you. It includes a lot of fixes and smaller
>> adjustments. It's currently only available as a general .iso build,
>> others will presumably follow later. You can get it from here:
>>
>> http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/2/soas06.iso
>
> Nice!
>
> As for the instructions on the Mac, it's odd that you need the most skills on that platform ;)
>
> I just modified the Linux image-writer script for Mac OS X, see attachment. It's a bit safer and more comfortable than using raw dd (e.g., it only offers USB drives, shows the volume label not just device node etc). Only tested on my own Snow Leopard machine so far - please report back.

Whoa! :) Great work, thanks!

I don't have a Mac here, so I can't test it, but I think we'd want to
use it and put the screenshot in the instructions.

> Of course, doing this with an iso image as in the screenshot is nonsense, but there is no real USB image yet, right? When it becomes available, what will be its name?

Oh, you can actually even do that! The F12 .iso images are hybrid ones,
so you can use dd to copy them over to a flash drive...

Thanks again,
--Sebastian

> - Bert -
>
> PS: for the documentation folks: it is spelled "Mac OS X". Not OS/X or OSX. Just spaces.
> See http://apple.com/macosx/ ;)

*noted*!