[Sugar-devel] GSM/CDMA Modems support (part II)

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Nov 25 13:53:20 EST 2009

2009/11/26 Martin Abente <mabente at paraguayeduca.org>

> Hello again everyone!
>
> As I mentioned in my last email to devel at lists.laptop.org, there is a real
> need for a GSM/CDMA usb modem support in our region since thats the most
> common/available service in rural locations.

Have you looked at the project RapidSMS, developed with support from Unicef?
[1] "RapidSMS is designed to run on any standard computer paired with a
standard GPRS modem or certain models of cell phones."[2]

I have been lurking on their lists for a while, with my interest in the
Sahana Disaster Management System[3], but have gathered that at its core is
a python library, pyGSM [4]. I don't know if there is a PyGTK front end.

Best of luck!

@timClicks

[1] http://rapidsms.org/
[2] http://www.rapidsms.org/getting-started/tech-basics/