[Sugar-devel] Fructose - What is it? What should it be?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 09:08:55 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this came up several times now. People where wondering what Fructose is.
>  From the definition it is:
>
> The Sugar developers will need some example set of activities with which
> to demonstrate Sugar. This set is Fructose. The packages in Fructose
> should be selected to make the resulting environment as impressive as
> possible for a potential client or user. Packages should therefore be
> stable, polished, and exercise the widest possible range of features.
> Fructose may also serve as an example for people constructing their own
> Activity sets. [1]
>
> The current list of activities can be found at [2].
>
> The fructose activities follow the Sucrose development cycle (0.84,
> 0.86...). This means they follow the freezes, provide source tarballs,
> need a present maintainer etc. The duties are described at [3]. The
> activity gets noted in release notes, possibly more attention by the
> localization teams as revenue.

In practice, I haven't found that Fructose activities get more
attention from the Localization teams :( In a separate thread, perhaps
we can discuss how to best organize activities for localization
efforts.

But as a Fructose activity maintainer, it is nice to have the
motivation and companionship from the freeze and release dates to keep
me on schedule.

> In the end their are downsides and upsides to be part of Fructose. There
> were some arguing, that only system dependent activities should be part
> of it (e.g. Browse with the dependency on hulahop).
>
> There were some discussions that we would loose the show case activities
> when an activity would not be part of Fructose anymore. This comes down
> to packaging, as for rpm packaging one needs to provide the source
> tarballs and need to follow certain rules. Some distributors may ship
> the .xo bunles at one point, otherwise probably won't, so it is a good
> habit to do the source releases.

Be nice to get feedback from the distros as to what would be of most
use to them. Perhaps something as simple as a list of activities that
are known to be working with a particular release, which ASLO already
provides.

> Anyhow, this is a bit of the background. Let's think how we can move
> forward on this topic. We should do it quickly, to be able to keep the
> work on 0.88 going.

Could be that Fructose is no longer necessary.

> Regards,
>    Simon
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy#Fructose:_The_set_of_demonstration_activities