[Sugar-devel] Roadmap to 0.88 --- Proposal
simon at schampijer.de
Fri Nov 20 12:38:07 EST 2009
I have written a proposal for the new 0.88 schedule . Basically, I
followed the GNOME schedule for 2.30 . Following in terms of dates,
and I have added certain new freezes we did not have before.
- tarballs due will be on Mondays, and the release on Wednesdays: I hope
this will allow us to see the tarballs packaged by the end of the week
by the distributions ---> getting more testing done over the weekend
- UI Freeze added: No UI changes may be made without approval from the
release-team and notification to the documentation list. Having such a
freeze helps documentation efforts, and to not introduce workflow
regressions and issues late in the cycle.
- The feature freeze and API freeze is earlier compared to previous
cycles. This should help to get a more stable release at the envisioned
release date. After this shortened release cycle, from one feature
freeze to the next one, there will be always 6 months. So the same
amount of time to allow for development of features.
- To allow for long term planning, I have drafted the 0.90 schedule, too
. This should help to schedule bigger features.
- Testing: I hope to see much much more testing in this release cycle.
Two things should help here: a) I encourage the creation of a testing
team. b) The 0.88 release will be packaged early. For testing purposes
0.88 will be packaged for F12. Other distributions are encouraged to do
- Feature Process: We will follow the process  defined in the 0.86
cycle. It will be communicated another time.
- Getting it into a release: As we follow the same schedule as GNOME is,
we should have no issues in getting our packages into the distributions
in time. See the F13  for example.
More information about the Sugar-devel