[Sugar-devel] Roadmap to 0.88 --- Proposal

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Nov 20 12:38:07 EST 2009

Hi,

I have written a proposal for the new 0.88 schedule [1]. Basically, I
followed the GNOME schedule for 2.30 [2]. Following in terms of dates,
and I have added certain new freezes we did not have before.

In detail:
- tarballs due will be on Mondays, and the release on Wednesdays: I hope
this will allow us to see the tarballs packaged by the end of the week
by the distributions ---> getting more testing done over the weekend

- UI Freeze added: No UI changes may be made without approval from the
release-team and notification to the documentation list. Having such a
freeze helps documentation efforts, and to not introduce workflow
regressions and issues late in the cycle.

- The feature freeze and API freeze is earlier compared to previous
cycles. This should help to get a more stable release at the envisioned
release date. After this shortened release cycle, from one feature
freeze to the next one, there will be always 6 months. So the same
amount of time to allow for development of features.

- To allow for long term planning, I have drafted the 0.90 schedule, too
[3]. This should help to schedule bigger features.

- Testing: I hope to see much much more testing in this release cycle.
Two things should help here: a) I encourage the creation of a testing
team. b) The 0.88 release will be packaged early. For testing purposes
0.88 will be packaged for F12. Other distributions are encouraged to do
similar.

- Feature Process: We will follow the process [4] defined in the 0.86
cycle. It will be communicated another time.

- Getting it into a release: As we follow the same schedule as GNOME is,
we should have no issues in getting our packages into the distributions
in time. See the F13 [5] for example.

Comments welcome,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Roadmap#Schedule